We're all kinds of crazy!!!

Wednesday, May 11

Sound Off

Okay, so something was really annoying me and I just want to spout off about it for a minute. Sometimes this gets me into trouble, but what-the-hey?!

I was recently directed to a website that was a forum for birth-mothers,  or first-mothers (I guess is what they prefer to be called). I didn't really understand what people were saying most of the time. ??They gave their children up for adoption at some point and now they're all bent out of shape saying that they and their children were 'victims' of adoption, and that their children were 'taken' from them by the adoptive parents.??

I don't get it.

It was hard for me to read, and even harder for me to understand. There are so many things that didn't sit well with me. But there was one thing in particular that bothered me the most. They kept talking about their poor children being raised by 'genetic strangers', and how damaging that would be for them.

Let me tell you something folks. I have witnessed the adoption process from both sides. I've witnessed people going through the process  of adopting a child. I've witnessed someone making the decision to give up a child. All of these people make fantastic parents, and it has nothing to do with genetics. You do not need to be genetically related to a child to love them, cherish them, teach them, nurture them, and to be an amazing parent. Likewise, being a 'genetic' parent does not make it a slam dunk. There are plenty of  'genetic' parents out there who do none of those things for their children. They may abuse them physically, mentally, or both. They may neglect them and care nothing for their joys or sorrows. Are those children better off simply because they are with their 'genetic' parents? Are they happier, more well-adjusted children under those circumstances? I should say not!

Genetics have absolutely nothing to do with it!

That's all I wanted to say :)

1 comment:

Jaclyn M said...

I agree 100% with you on this one. Most adoptive parents desire to have a child so badly, and they cherish their children just as much as a "genetic" parent would. Sometimes I believe they even appreciate them because in most circumstances, to adopt it takes more effort and diligence than becoming a genetic parent. Now after you have them I believe the
"challenge" of raising children is difficult no matter how the Lord brought your children to your family!!

Sorry this is a subject close to my heart!!